Legends of Amarna
Hello There, Guest! Do you want to or Register?

CboxSeason
Winter, Year 1

Where is the snow? As autumn fades into winter, the temperatures are still unusually high, and excepting areas in high elevations and of normally frigid temperatures, snow refuses to fall. Even rain is hard to find these days, and as the crystal clear skies beat down upon the earth, not a cloud in sight, one can begin to wonder what is going on with the world. The golden grass is crisp and dry, and though the fires have slowed with the seasons, there is still a hint of smoke in the air, and every now and then a small one crops up. The rivers are beginning to dwindle to a trickle, and mud has dried into thick cracked clay.
Open A Warm Welcome
Female
28 Years
Wilder
Equine
Homeless
Bisexual
Threads: 2
Wilder
• Rietta •

Well, shit.

It had been smooth sailing for the most part, with the typical turbulent waters every so often throughout the journey, but this was something else entirely. This wasn't just the weather being her wild and unruly self.

"GET THOSE DAMN TOPSAILS UP ALREADY, DAMNIT!"

Rietta refused to let the beast get her ship, and bellowed orders at the few of her crew that yet remained as she too raced around the deck after relinquishing the steering of the ship to her sailing master in order to make sure all sails were up to allow for maximum speed. She'd lost many a crew mate already to the waters and the beast on their tails.

"GUNNERS, KEEP ON TARGET! DON'T LET THAT BLOODY BEAST GET ANY CLOSER!!"

The world was certainly a dangerous place, this she knew well. It was harsh and often cruel, and over the years it had provided her with fairly thick skin and a mindset not to get too attached to things; although, things usually referred to people, as opposed to items or such. Whilst she remained friendly in regards to her crew, she never allowed herself to grow too attached to them, promising herself that she would never put herself in a situation where she could lose her whole world again.

Sure, she could just spread her wings and fly off, but it made her stomach churn just to think about it, especially because it brought back the memories of leaving her family behind when she had wished to stay and fight.

The sounds of firing cannons boomed in her ears as she swung all of her weight on a rope that released one of the topsails, and as she swung about, she could see the giant monster right on their tails.

'See, girl, this is why you don't bloody sail in Leviathan territory!'

Rietta ignored her inner chiding voice reminding her that her Papa never would have put his crew in harm's way like that, that he would be ashamed of her; she knew it wasn't true, it was just the adrenaline being a jerk. She gritted her teeth as she landed back on the top deck, sliding over to shove the sailing master aside so she could take over steering again.

It was certainly not an ideal situation, especially when the wind wasn't in their favour - although, at least, it wasn't against them either. They'd be fish food if it was.

"Cap! There's something up ahead!"
"What in the...?! SHIT!!!"

She saw the giant glowing thing protruding from the water just as a crewmate called out about it, but there was no time to turn, lest they crash sideways into it or risk losing speed and falling behind, allowing the beast chasing them to latch itself on and take them all down to the depths. Rietta repeated cursed as she tried to think but there really was no time to do anything. The ship was headed straight for whatever the strange glow was, there was no avoiding it.

"BRACE YOURSELVES!" Rietta bellowed moments before the ship sailed straight through the strange portal. She'd squeezed her eyes shut, expecting to feel the harsh jolt of impact, but felt a strange wave of something flow over her and peeked one eye open. Everything was dark, illuminated only by the soft glow of moonlight. "What the..."

She abandoned the wheel and looked out at the blanket of fog coating the water's surface. Everything was still and quiet, yet she felt incredibly unsettled. And that was when she saw it. A dark yet red-glowing mountain only yards ahead, and the strong stench of sulfur. She didn't even have time to yell out another 'brace for impact' as the ship's bow was shredded by the rocks scattered around the shoreline; those that had survived were jolted about as the ship slammed heavily into the base of the large volcano that met the shore, and Rietta herself was flung off the top deck and into the uncomfortably warm waters below.

"Uuuughh, my head..."

Everything ached, but that wasn't a surprise, considering what had happened. When she'd been thrown from the ship and hit the water, Rietta had tried to get back but had been tossed about in the waves created by the impact as her beloved ship crashed into the rocky shore and splintered into hundreds of pieces. At the same time it had felt like something had grabbed hold of her, and briefly, a wave of fear washed over her as she thought the Leviathan had followed them; everything had gone black, but she distinctly remembered feeling a winged shoulder scrape against something hard and rough.

The sun was warm on her face now as she slowly tried opening her eyes, squinting out the early morning rays as she sat up to try and inspect where she'd landed. A dark rocky outcrop of sorts it seemed, still with that distinct strong smell of brimstone. Cocking her head to one side, she looked over at the mountain that loomed perhaps a few miles away now and groaned again. Was she the only survivor? It was a disgusting thought that churned her stomach, for despite her rough exterior and commitment to not allowing herself to become too attached to others, she didn't want to have to go through the pain of losing an entire crew again.

Not again.

"Well, shit."

When the waves come rolling in and lighting fills the sky,
all the sailors know that the Leviathan is nigh.
SpeaksThinksSounds Like

|| Open thread; anyone who wants to arrive with Rietta as part of her crew are more than welcome to post their own reactions to the events prior to arrival + how they took the crash landing.
Female
29 Years
Vata
Murgese Horse
Homeless
Heterosexual
Threads: 1
Vata
Zamaille Atha'an
Not all treasure is silver and gold
Drink up me hearties! Yo ho ho!

The past few months had been quite the journey for Zamaille Atha'an, and things didn't seem to be getting better. She had bummed a ride from Rietta's crew... well not exactly bummed, she had offered her services as a Windfinder at least until she could gather her own crew, or perhaps cause a mutiny on her current ship. She could also find the coin to buy one honestly, but the thought made her chuckle. That would never happen. She was a pirate. Pirates screwed people over as often as they could. Well anyone they were not loyal to. Those sorts of folk were rare, and certainly not anything she had to worry about after losing everyone on her old ship. The thought still drove a nail into her heart, but she refused to let it get to her. What was done was done, and she would not dwell on the past.

Either way, here she was pulling her life together, or perhaps making it worse with her efforts. She had been deep in the belly of the ship drinking her sorrows away and singing bawdy songs to herself, when a racket pulled her from her half-drunken stupor. 

Stumbling up the steps and onto the deck, the woman found mass chaos. Rietta, the captain was barking orders at her crew, a leviathan hot on their tail. Stumbling across the deck, Zamaille mutter to herself. "This is lovely, just fuckin' lovely" Her voice was slurred, and the bodies jostling around her were frantic. As she stood there, watching the scene unfold, someone bumped into her. "Don't just stand there. Do somethin' or this beast will be usin' our bones to pick 'is teeth."

Snapping back into reality, the drunken mare, decided that perhaps she should use her powers. Maybe she could create a wind and waves enough to get them far enough away from the leviathan before it shredded their boat apart. Problem was, she was drunk. Not just a little drunk, but totally shit-faced wasted. She could hardly see straight and the thought caused her to let forth a small giggle and a hiccup.

Doing her best, she gathered the weaves for the wind and the air. She would cause the water from the ocean to prepel them away from the monster, while adding a burst of wind to fill the sails and carry them away. Perhaps they would get out of it's territory fast enough to survive the encounter. Why the hell were they even in leviathan territory? You could smell their stink leagues away.

Creating the weaves as artfully as she could in her condition, it felt as if the boat made a jerk forward. She could hear more screaming and shouts and then the weaves... were gone. They were thrown into fog and darkness, and the scent of sulfur and brimstone reached her nostrils. This realization only lasted for a second before the world seemed to throw itself out from under her. A loud crash reached her ears as the world seemed to stop, and the boat under her feet tore against the stone. Everything went dark.

Feeling the warm sun wash against her face, the mare slowly came back into consciousness. She could feel the warm waves lapping against her multi-hued pelt, and sand stuck to the parts of her body above the surface. Her head was pounding and her ears were ringing. As she layed there, she slowly opened her eyes, squinting against the bright light. Oh how her head pounded! Not only did her body hurt from the immense trauma of the crash, that's the only thing that could have happened, but she was also suffering from an intense hangover. She needed more rum, but doubted she would find any in the remains of the ship. Her mouth was dry, and her tongue felt swollen within. So did her eyes, actually. Everything felt like utter crap, and as she stirred she felt a bit of relief that nothing seemed broken.

"Arr, what a mess." She muttered to herself as she looked around. Grunting, she rose painfully to her feet, water dripping from her soaked hide. Looking around, she wondered if anyone else had survived the wreckage. It was a fine mess. She wondered what had happened. Had the captain really ran them into shore? She doubted it. Leviathans preferred deep water, not shorelines.

Turning slowly, she squinted into the sun, spotting the captain slowly rising from the wreckage. Coughing she stood there bleary eyed before speaking. "What in the world happened last night?" Maybe not the best words, but she was too sore and too shocked to think of anything else.

Word Count: 776 | OOC: omg xD | Tags: Rietta
x | x
Female
28 Years
Wilder
Equine
Homeless
Bisexual
Threads: 2
Wilder
Aww... an empty chest is like an empty bed. What a waste!

With a depressed but effort-filled sigh, Rietta finally managed to push herself up onto her feet. She ruffled out her large feathered burdens - er, appendages - to stretch them and ensure there were no breakages before she folded them neatly against her sides again. She ached all over, sure, but it wasn't anything she hadn't experienced before; drunk nights and epic hangovers had caused more injuries than the crash.

Not that this was in any way an ideal situation in general, but she was whole, so that was something, right?

"Oh thank the maker," She murmurs to herself as she hears a somewhat familiar voice, and feels at least a partial wave of relief wash over her that at least someone else had survived. One was better than none. Well, two, if she was including herself, but she wasn't.

"No bloody idea. Last I remember we were barely in front of that damned Leviathan, then some giant bloody thing was sticking up out of the water and we went through it, only to slam bow-first into the rocks of that blasted volcano."

Rietta released another sigh with a shake of her head, "If it doesn't rain, it bloody pours." She grumbles under her breath before taking a good look at who exactly the survivor was that was speaking to her. It was the dark painted woman that was somewhat similar to herself; appearance wise, that is. She had a larger crest atop her head, and far longer ears, but had a regular tail. When they'd first met, Rietta had almost had a faint glimmer of hope that, just perhaps, her mother hadn't been the only one that looked as she did. That was quickly dashed, and she set such foolish thoughts aside.

"Did anyone else survive?" Her voice cracked a little, her throat dry from the salt water, but there was still a bit of hopefulness in her emerald gaze. If one survived, others like had too, right?

Rietta
Speech | Thought | Sounds Like

@Zamaille
Female
28 Years
Wilder
Fresian
Homeless
Demisexual
Lee
Wilder

One would have thought signing up for a crew on a ship wouldn’t have gone so astray. Though the calling for adventure had been far stronger searching for a sense of purpose was how I had met Rietta. A wisecracking woman that somewhere along the line I came to adore. Not as to a sort of unrequited love, but a sister I wish I had. She was just one of those few you internally gravitate toward regardless of the type of person you’d been. She was the sort that would always lift you up if you had fallen down, a light in the dark. A light I needed to retain the vow I’d taken after the war.

I had been invited to partake in a sort of crew she’d been putting together. Mostly it seemed whomever had the calling of adventure, discovery that would have tagged along. Though I remember the few that just had just seemed listless. Like they had nothing else to live for that began to board the ship. I didn’t know a hell of a lot about ships in general, but I did know enough that Rietta had offered me a position along with the strength to lift the cannonballs into their rightful places if ever need be.

That night? It was a foggy mess in my mind. I remembered some sort of leviathan class had attempted to take the ship and we had defended. Then there was a portal? A strange thing that was a cool feeling as we traveled through it and popped out the other side. Less turbulent seas, but then we sailed right into the rocky outcrop of the island. I remembered a red glow that peaked out through the darkness, was it a volcano? Surely.

A groan escaped pale fleshy lips the simple movement of those lips resulted in cracks from the lack of fresh water. My throat felt harsh as pale lids lifted revealing a golden gaze. I groaned again as I lifted myself to my hooves every joint in my frame screamed in agony. ”Where in the nine hells am I?” I asked mostly to myself realizing just how dry my throat had been thanks to the salty seas.

Shuffling myself across the coastline I could hear mumbling voices in the distance. Not too far away, but far enough away it was going to be a rather painful walk regardless. Picking up my semi-sturdy limbs to carry me toward the few voices I recognized. By the time I approached them I’d been nearly dragging stumbling every so often as seen from the prints left in the sands behind.

It hadn’t been until I had looked behind the way I’d came that I noticed faint red droplets in the beige sands. I realized my left flank was caked in sand clinging to the thick red liquid. ”Mind giving me a hand?” I asked turning the rather sore flank toward the pair hoping one of them would rip the wood splinter that had embedded itself into the soft flesh.

@Rietta @Zamaille
Female
29 Years
Vata
Murgese Horse
Homeless
Heterosexual
Vata
Zamaille Atha'an
Not all treasure is silver and gold
Drink up me hearties! Yo ho ho!

Groaning inwardly at the captain's words, Zamaille thought that explained at least part of the mess. She had sailed many turbulent seas, seen many strange things, but still, nothing seemed odder than what the other woman described. As little as she knew her, Zamaille trusted her as far as she could anyone else. No captain would purposely run their ship, their entire life into the rocks, killing crew, an losing goods. No captain worth half their weight in gold coins would be so bloodydamn idiotic.

Shaking the sand from her sore body, every muscle pulling tightly against her frame as she moved, she grumbled. "Aye, that is very true, let's hope that only a few found their way into Davey Jone's Locker." Shaking her head, she muttered, "Damn leviathan." Turning to search through the rubble, her long ears perked at the sound of a feminine voice. Turning back around, she noticed that the woman in front of her was a tall indigo and ivory mare that she thought she had seen once or twice on teh ship. Wracking her brain for a name, her memory was foggy, but she thought it was along the lines of Umber or Amber or something. Though her sides appeared to be speckled in stardust, a deep gash leaked crimson from her side. Coming out of it appeared to be a rather large piece of driftwood.

Glancing towards the other feathered mare, she gave a faint not of her head and cringed. Not at the gore leaking from the lady's side, but from the pain that she had to be in. It was a wonder she was still walking. "Aye, but it's gonna hurt." Reaching for it she paused before remembering a bit of doctoral advice she had heard from... someone... "On second thought, mayhaps we should wait until we find something to stop the bleeding with? Wouldn't want ya to bleed out or anything." Shrugging, she took a position to watch for the indigo woman's response.

Looking towards Rietta, her sides heaved a faint bit in a sandy cough. She could use some fresh water and some rest, but times were not promising necessities for the survivors.
Word Count: 363| Tags: Rietta Umbra
x | x