Legends ofAmarna

Warning! The anathema is here.

The doctrine that poisoned the souls of many, that wrought blood against blood, life against life. Aspasia has not been the same, nor will it ever be. As history fades into legend, and legend into myth, so too are the whispers of peace that had once brought each of the races together in harmony. As such a time faded into history, so does the chaos grow - the resentment that breeds loathing - that brings about war.

With the world pitted against each other, each race, equines, canines, and felines taking sides, the question is, which side will you choose?

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Open Cleaning Up and Moving Out

played by ImogenCrusader
Wilder

Female
Wolf
Empress of Homeless
Asexual

Cinders

When Cinders had first spotted the lake, she honestly had to stop and wonder if she'd been dreaming. She'd lost track of how many days, or weeks even, that she'd been traveling. Still caked in the blood and guts of either things she had killed or those she had loved. Until this very moment, water had been scarce, and never enough to take a bath. But as she rushed towards the oval of crystal blue that was all about to change.

She had her priorities in order though, stopping herself from throwing her body into the lake until she'd drank her fill, she wasn't sure but she felt like it wouldn't be a good idea to drink the water after she'd bathed in it, at least not for a few minutes. But once she'd had her fill with the life-giving liquid she swam out to the deep part of the and submerged her tiny body. Surfacing she let out a happy bark as some of the blood and dirt worked it's way out of her fur finally 

Of course, now that her shifted body was clean, she was left with a dillemma, make herself vulnerable and shift into her human form, or leave it dirty? She knew she needed to bathe, she was too young to survive forever alone in the woods, and walking into town in her current condition would sooner get her tossed out than able to trade for what she needed. With a sigh she gave in to the inevitable, shifting into her pale human form and scrubbing out the blood, making extra sure to untie the wound on her shoulder and clean it out, the last thing she needed was an infection after all!

Finally both forms were clean and she swam out of the water and shifted back into the wolf, back into safety, and plopped down on the grass to dry, her eyes instinctively looking towards the nearby city. It had been weeks since she'd even seen another person, weeks since she lay on the ground, staring out into nothing and pretending to be dead, and while logically she knew she couldn't keep this up, she was terrified to go into the city, terrified to deal with people, or hell, even shift into a human for more than a few minutes.

But even so, how long could she keep going on like this?

OOC/Tags:  Put mentions or something ooc here.
Table © Camy | Image © Name
Find Quote

played by TrinitySilph
Vata

Female
25 (Immortal)
Andalusian x Cob
Faern Cascades
Bisexual

Nelayryn

Ash and smoke covered everything. Months of searching turned up nothing. Some monster was burning her kingdom to dust and there was nothing she could do. She was Empress, but so, so helpless.

Nelayryn stood in the tower of the Crystal Bell once more not for the first or, she was sure, the last time. All around her, Vata stretched on and on, an endless wasteland of embers. She sighed. What was she going to do?

”Will it ever stop?”
Llewel was at her feet, coiling between her hooves like a large pink cat before settling between her forelegs, tail wrapped snugly around her ankle. ”I miss the blue sky. All this red clashes with my scales...”
He was trying to make her laugh and it worked, briefly. The Empress let out a tinkling little chuckle that quickly died. She was too tired for laughter. Too worried about her people.
”You're right, little brother,” and she smiled, though it was more than a little sad. ”Red skies do nothing for you.”

It was hot. Too hot. She couldn't think. Her eyes ached from searching through the smoke and smog.
”Come,” she said to the little dragon. ”Let's go swimming, hmm? Just for a little while... just a little rest.”

Llewel perked up a little at that and swarmed up her leg and shoulder to his customary position on her withers, nestled securely in her mane and between her largest wings. When he was settled, she spread all six wide and leapt from the tower to glide in a lazy spiral down to the lake below.

Mid-flight, something caught her eye. Something small and red and strange. Was that... a wolf? In Vata? After so many had accused Nelayryn herself of starting the fires? But what wolf was so tiny?

As she descended, she watched the wolf become a girl, and her sharp eyes made a connection that made her feel rather silly. A child... a mere pup, and so caked in blood and grime that the mare had been unable to see her white coat.
”Oh dear...” she murmured. What tragedy had befallen the poor thing? Was it related to the fires? She wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest. The world had become a rather terrible place, it seemed. Even she, immortal though she was, feared the future and what was to come. What would it feel like to a mere child?

Nelayryn alighted a short distance from where the child – or pup, now – lay on the grass, close enough to be seen and heard, but far enough not to be a threat. She closed all but her main two eyes so as not to disturb the girl, and tucked her wings close to her sides. Llewel, understanding her secrecy, stayed hidden behind her neck.
”Hello there,” she called softly. ”Hello, little one. What brings you to Vata? Are you alright?”
Of course the pup was not alright – the poor thing was blood-soaked just moments ago. It was best, Nelaryrn felt, to let the child come to her. Let her trust on her own.
Oh, the poor thing...

Cinders
Find Quote

played by ImogenCrusader
Wilder

Female
Wolf
Empress of Homeless
Asexual

Cinders

Cinders had been lost in thought, an internal battle between her logical mind and her fearful heart consuming her. She already knew she would have to go, she was just delaying it. People would ask her so many questions, and what would she tell them? What could she tell them? Her dress had obviously been worn for days too long without a wash, she was skinny as could be, and she would be afraid of everyone and they would notice that. Sure some of it could be dismissed as a youngsters first time on their own, but would they beleive that?

Then a voice interrupted her thoughts and Cinders realised she wasn't alone. It didn't scare her as much as it might have normally, however, because being this close to the city she had all but expected someone might come across her bathing. And sure enough, they had questions as to why a lone child was out on her own without a guardian. But she needed to answer and not run off. Sure she wasn't aware this woman was the empress, but this was just a warmup round of what would happen much more often when she finally gave in and went to the city. Because as much as she resisted it, the need for supplies was inevitable.

"I came to see about trading for supplies, I don't really live near the city and there's alot of stuff you can get here that you can't find at home," She explained carefully, and it was the truth, enough so she could meet the creatures eyes. She seemed so kind that, for a moment, Cinders wanted to run to her, human form, wrap her arms around her neck and sob about her troubles. But this time when her logical mind held her back she allowed it. Instead trotting over to where she had left her bag before and then bringing it over and dropping it at the creatures feet. Inside were dried meet, skins, forest fruits and plants, anything she could think of that might have value in the city. For while her parents had never taught her to hunt, identifying the fruits of the forest and processing the kills father brought back were skills she learned well.

"Do you....do you think these things could get me anything? Soap, Clothes, or even just the raw supplies to make em? I've mostly been washing myself in the water when I can, and I only have one set," she was hesitent to divulge so much information, but she was handling herself well in this conversation so far, and she wanted to know what her expectations should be for the city, if she would get anywhere at all with it even, or if she ought to just turn back now and forget the whole affair.

But the truth that her mind hid from her this time, was that she just wanted this strange lady to keep talking to her, unaware just how much she had craved basic social interaction, even as her pulse pounded in her ears.

Find Quote

played by TrinitySilph
Vata

Female
25 (Immortal)
Andalusian x Cob
Faern Cascades
Bisexual

Nelayryn

This close, Nelayryn could see how small the child was, perhaps too small even for her age, and she was very young. She didn't appear to be starving, but it didn't take a genius to realize that this poor pup had endured something terrible. When she rose and spoke, her voice was that of an adult – a child pushed to grow too fast, too soon.

”Just supplies?” Nelayryn replied. She tried for an encouraging smile but it may have been just a little sad, too. ”Where did you come from?”

In all her travels with her family, they had, of course, come across children who had endured trauma. To bring them back was delicate, and some never recovered, not really. They were all hurt and pain and trying so, so hard to grow up and be adults because adults could handle it and didn't feel the pain and were steady and not scared--
Llewel felt her shiver and kneaded gently at her mane, calming her. She took a breath before her anxiety could show. It was best that the child did not know.

"Do you....do you think these things could get me anything?...
Nelayryn dipped her head to look into the bag, and was surprised at the bounty she saw there.
”Oh my,” she replied. ”Yes, this could get you a great deal. But... why do your parents not buy you what you need?”

As she said it, she wanted to kick herself. So blunt... too blunt. Foolish...

Cinders
Find Quote

played by ImogenCrusader
Wilder

Female
Wolf
Empress of Homeless
Asexual

Cinders

Cinders didn't miss the twitch in the woman's eyes, the strange expression on her face. It wasn't anger, nor sadness, nor hatred. It was something familiar, an expression her own mother would get when she came in the house after accidentally cutting her leg on a farm tool, or falling into the local pond while trying to fish, or even getting into scrapes with local animals in her wolf form.

Concern.

Could someone fake such a brief flicker of emotion? For how quick it had passed there was no way even a mind reader could know cinders would look up at the exact moment to notice it. It seemed so genuine too, and for once, Cinders logical mind had no rebuttal to her emotional conclusion.

Then of course, she asked the very reasonable and innocent question of where she had come from. It wasn't even that Cinders didn't want to answer this one but she couldn't. In all her young life Cinders had never seen a town before glimpsing the one up on the mountain now. Father had always said she was too young to accompany him when he'd make the biannual trip to sell produce and pick up supplies, that she could go when she was older. She'd never thought to ask where they lived, she'd never even considered it normal that places had names, the farm was just theirs, an outcropping in an endless meadow, perfect and isolated.

Which is exactly what the soldiers thought too most likely.

"Our house burnt down, I have no home or money to buy things, I just have my skills that mommy and daddy taught me," The next question caught her off guard, she didn't have time to think of a lie, she was too vulnerable, so she simply omitted the worst of the truth. Would she think her parents died in the fire? Would she think they sent her because she was young and uninjured. Or was the omission obvious, could an actual adult see through the way she glanced away and pawed at the dirt. Lying on the fly was harder than she thought, and this was only one person. Why was she allowing herself to be so vulnerable and get caught off guard?

"M my parents wouldn't have done ththe<is if we had other options, but they can't travel because....because..." because they're dead and i'm alone and strange men have taken everything i loved without explanation and you're the first person who I can honestly beleive might not want to hurt me!

"Please, I don't know what to do, i'm trying to be a big girl but I can't, i'm scared, I don't know what i'm doing," she finally confessed, each syllable having to be practically yanked from her stubborn pride as she bowed her head, utter submission and defeat in every minor expression her body and face made.

She had to stop lying eventually, and though she couldn't tell her the truth just yet, she couldn't think of enough lies to keep the story going and the stress had collapsed her entirely.

Find Quote

played by TrinitySilph
Vata

Female
25 (Immortal)
Andalusian x Cob
Faern Cascades
Bisexual

Nelayryn

Nelayryn was not expecting the child to break down so suddenly or so soon, but it was like a dam burst.  A torrent of suppressed emotion flooded out of the girl and she was sobbing, all heartache and grief and... something else?  Guilt?  It was hard to say, but it was not uncommon that survivors of a tragedy felt guilt that was not their own.  She had done nothing wrong, and yet, in all likelihood, she bore that burden.  The empress had seen it time and time again in her travels, and she knew this would not be the last, yet it never got any easier.  How could a child be left so alone, so helpless?  The world could be such a cruel place...  these fires took everything.

"Please, I don't know what to do, I'm trying to be a big girl but I can't, I'm scared, I don't know what I'm doing,"
Nelayryn's heart broke.  She stepped forward as she shifted, melting fluidly from winged mare to seraphic woman, and she knelt even as she spread her arms to the girl, offering an embrace.
”Come here, love,” she murmured.  Displaced from his feathery bed, Llewel now peered over her shoulder with great concern, as worried as his mistress.  He whined and coiled his tail tightly around one of her arms, but she couldn't stop to comfort him, now – the girl needed it far more than her dragonling.  
Both of them already knew what she was going to ask the child, of course.  There was no other course of action available.  Maybe she couldn't save her entire kingdom, but gods be damned if she couldn't save just one.
Find Quote

played by ImogenCrusader
Wilder

Female
Wolf
Empress of Homeless
Asexual

Cinders

This wasn't her. This wasn't Cinders. This crying mess on the ground was a weak child incapable of handling life. This wasn't who she'd been up until now. So why was she suddenly caving like this? Why could she think of none of the lines she rehearsed, the stories she'd crafted. Instead all she could smell was smoke and blood and hear the death cries of the people she loved while she could do nothing to save them, and now here she was, alive but for what reason? Surely her mother, or father, or even her siblings deserved to live and would have been far more useful in picking up the pieces, so why her!?

When her emotions overwhelmed her, Cinders had a nasty habit of shifting back to her human form. Some shifters could maintain their animal form even in the face of intense emotions, but for Cinders this required intense concentration, and as the floodgates opened and memories flooded her mind, concentration was the last thing she could summon from within herself.

Then the horse shifted into the most beautiful and angelic woman Cinders had ever seen. She almost felt ashamed with how ratty and dirty she must look in comparison. But then the woman opened her arms and beckoned her forward, and for a moment, it felt like her mother coming back from the dead. No matter how much her logical mind wanted to kistrust the stranger, her broken heart needed this and she crawled over and wrapped her arms around her, burying her face in the womans shoulder.

And just like that, Cinders began to know the feeling of safety once more. To let down her guard and let someone in. It felt nice, and warm, and soothing, and like the weight of the world was finally lifted off her slender shoulders and allowing her to breathe. But before she could find the words to thank the woman, the absolute angel, for all she'd done. The dragonling popped up on her shoulder and hough Cinders started her eyes lightened up with a brightness.

"Hello there mister, i'm cinders!" she said in a slightly happier tone as she considered the creature from within the safety of her saviours embrace. She'd seen alot of unique creatures in her travels, but this one was something new and she couldn't help but be intrigued, and like any child, it served to instantly distract her from her greif.

Find Quote

played by TrinitySilph
Vata

Female
25 (Immortal)
Andalusian x Cob
Faern Cascades
Bisexual

Nelayryn

The pup melted, and a child sat before the queen. In moments, Nelayryn held the little one in her arms, holding her close and stroking her hair, crooning softly as the girl sobbed.
”Shh, it's alright,” she murmured. ”I've got you... you're safe now.”
Who had hurt this child? Was it just the fires? Who had started them? Nelayryn's mind whirled and her thoughts clashed with each other in a frenzy. She had just one role in her life, and it was to guide the lost, but she had never expected it to be this difficult. No one in her herd had ever told her it could be like this.

Llewel poked his head over her shoulder and watched the child with a rather potent mixture of concern and doubt. This very loud thing was very dirty, after all. But then she looked up and saw him and he stared back, blinking owlishly.
"Hello there mister, i'm cinders!"
His tongue snaked out and back in like a little snake's, and the dragonling crawled up onto his mistress's shoulder to better stretch down and inspect her new companion. He began to sniff and whuffle all over her face, huffing and puffing with breath like sugarplums and sandalwood until he knew her scent like Nelayryn's.
”She's very dirty,” he said to the empress. ”You're going to have to take her home and clean her up.”

Nel laughed softly and reached up to scratch his chin. ”This is Llewel,” she explained. ”He can't speak to you, but he likes you.”
”Don't put words in my mouth.”
”You do,” she retorted by way of their mental bond. ”Be nice.”

A moment passed, and she gently pushed some loose hair out of the child's face. ”Little one... Cinders, was it? My name is Nelayryn. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'd very much like to help you... will you let me?”

Cinders
Find Quote

played by ImogenCrusader
Wilder

Female
Wolf
Empress of Homeless
Asexual

Cinders

The woman was soft and warm and gentle. She wasn't like the strangers who looked on from afar with a sneer. Or concern but no desire to actually help her when they realised how much trouble she would be. Not that she blamed them, she couldn't trust most people, and the few who seemed they might be trustworthy she feared endangering by letting them in. So Cinders always wound up running from their help and concern, because by running she was safe and also keeping them safe, if admittedly risking herself in the process.

But Cinders was tired, oh so very tired. She was just a child in a grown ups world, faking it to try and make it. But the realities of things like fresh clothing and a safe place to sleep were things no child could truly handle, no matter how mature. That she had survived this long was in no small part thanks to luck, and eventually, the night would come that her luck would run out. She needed to find a home, find people to keep her safe. Even if it was hard to trust strangers when she found one like this, who she seemed to just...bond with despite her wariness, she should be embracing it.

Her whirling thoughts were distracted once again by the snake like creature on the womans shoulder. She had a distinct urge to pet it, thinking it looked adorable. Too young and innocent to see the disdain in the creatures eyes, too naive to doubt the woman when she claimed he liked her. So without warning cinders reached her hand out and stroked its head tenderly, a bright smile on her face as, for a moment, her worries vanished into smoke.

But feeling the womans fingers on her cheek brought her back to reality. Cinders settled down in her lap once more, head resting on the womans shoulder as her violet eyes watched her with, uncertainty yes, but so much restrained hope seemingly begging to break free as her cautious side began to test the womans resolve, letting her know just what it was she was in for.

"The fire, it wasn't natural. Strange men came, they killed my family. If they found out I survived they might come back for me," she pointed out as her eyes glanced away. She wanted to stay, she knew she needed too and this woman was one of the gentlest she'd met since her own mother had passed. But that just meant she truly deserved to know what had happened, to have warning at least. At what taking in a seemingly harmless child could bring upon her and any she lived with.

Find Quote